Saturday, October 4, 2008

The Blessing of the Animals 2008


It's the feast day of St. Francis and that means that churches do the Blessing of the Animals all over the world. So mom and dad took me to the parish garden and Fr Girard the cool new associate pastor at St. Sebastian's in Woodside, Queens gave me a nice sprinkling with dad today.

I hope that we dogs can pray (in whatever way we dogs do) to St Francis to protect all dogs who may be victims of abuse--especially for those caught in dog fighting rings--or neglect. I also pray in thankgiving for mom and dad who rescued me from the shelter. Adopt a pet today.

Ok,ok...I'll even pray for cats. Even if they are dumb.

Dad reminds me too that St. Francis was a man not merely of peace but of radical poverty. He renounced all his father's riches and even stripped naked in the town square and said to his father that he needed nothing from him--that all he needed was Jesus--much to his father's objections.

That's a big difference from the guy we usually see sitting in the garden peacfully with the animals. Truth be told, Francis was the one who could quiet the animals because of his peaceful nature and he did so because they were making too much noise at mass!

So we remember St. Francis and we need to hear his words of peace today:

No comments: