Monday, October 1, 2007

Training

Sorry it's been so long since I've written. I've been a bit under the weather with a mild case of pneumonia.

I've also been busy with Mom and Dad getting trained. Mom and Dad are working hard with a friend to teach me not to jump on furnature unless I'm invited up. I've learned to sit and stay until mom or dad say "Let's Go!" and I walk at heel on my leash--all in just two days of work.

Two things have been very hard for me. First is sleeping. Mom and dad have made me sleep in my bedroom instead of on the couch in the living room. They shut my door and I get scared and start to bark and whimper. But dad and mom are good at being firm--they are helping me get over my separation anxiety. They are speaking my language when I do something wrong. Dad's growl is deep and sounds like a car horn. Mom's is not a ferocious and sometimes it makes me ignore her. When I don't listen dad snaps his hands at me or smacks the door and then I know he means business and I quiet down right away.

The second thing is that I still bark at other dogs but I'm getting calmer much faster. Dad seems to have become a respected pack leader and mom is teaching me a lot too as the second in command of the pack. I love Mom very much but need to learn to listen to her more. It's hard for me because her voice is very high and I don't often know the difference between her praising me and disciplining me.

We're going to be doing a new feature here on the blog where I tell you about all the weird people I've been meeting on my evening walks--maybe we'll even start to take some pictures!

No comments: